This pastry can be used for savoury favourites like pies or sausage rolls.
- 2 cups gluten free flour mix
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking powder, gluten free
- 130 g cream cheese (traditional), chilled
- 165 g butter, chilled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Place the flour mix, salt and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor and pulse to mix.
- Cut the cream cheese and butter into chunks and then add it to the food processor. Whizz until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the egg and water together. Pour in the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture starts to clump together but is still crumbly.
- When you press some of the mixture together in your fingers it should feel like it will come together when it is removed from the food processor.
- If it feels too dry, add a few more drops of water but be careful not to add too much.
- Tip out onto a clean surface and work the mixture with your hands until a smooth dough is formed.
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate until ready to use.
Sally became interested in gluten free cooking when her husband, Bill, was diagnosed with coeliac disease. Initially thrown by his diagnosis, she enthusiastically took up the challenge of creating gluten free cooking that everyone would love to eat. Her desire to help others who are coeliac and those who cook for them is the driving force behind her cookbook, Goodbye Gluten.
Looking for more recipe inspiration? Check out Sally Holland’s cookbook: Goodbye Gluten.