Thursday November 23, 2023 3 minutes to read
Recipe by potatoes.co.nz, a not-for-profit organization
Ready In: 60 Minutes
- 1kg small roasting potatoes, washed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, sliced into thick slices
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Bake potatoes in the oven or microwave
- While potatoes are still warm, slice off the top third of the potatoes length ways. Then using a teaspoon carefully scoop potato flesh from both parts into a small bowl. Keep one or two tops unscooped if making cars and trains that need extra shape.
- Mix in grated cheese and relish, then spoon the potato flesh back into the larger potato shell.
- Mould and decorate the potato into the shape desired e.g. a boat, car or train, as below.
- Boat: use half a slice of ham or salami fixed with a cocktail stick, topped with a piece of capsicum for a sail.
- Train: use a piece of salami stick for the funnel of the train with wheels made from courgette slices, fixed with a stick of cheese using toothpicks. Slice a piece of the top of the baked potato to be the part of the engine.
- Car: use tomato halves or olives for the wheels. Slice a piece of the top of the baked potato to be the top of the car.
Oven Baked potatoes
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Prick each potato several times with a fork.
- Rub potatoes with a little oil and place on a baking tray in the middle of the oven. Bake in preheated oven for 45-60 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Test with the point of a knife. Remove potatoes from the oven and follow instructions as above.
Microwaved Baked potatoes
- Prick potatoes with a fork to pierce the skin. Place in microwave, and cook on high power for about 4-5 minutes for each potato; two potatoes will take 8-10 minutes. The time depends on the power of the microwave and the size of the potatoes. Carefully remove potatoes from the microwave and follow instructions as above.
Nutrition Information Panel
|Per Serving [ 4 Serves]
– saturated fat